Friday 20 July 2012

Can you take contact lenses on planes?

I went to Mallorca last month and one querie that crossed my mind was about my contact lenses. Airports and most plane companies are pretty funny about what you can and can't take on the plane - one of those things in particular are liquids.
Well, as all contact wearers know (me included), contact lenses come in a solution that's liquid, and thus come under the 'liquids' category even though the amount of solution is super duper tiny.
I've seen many blog threads and question-answer sites that were asking the same questions: a) can you take them abroad in your hand luggage and b) can you wear them on the flight, and I must admit the answers were pretty hazy and not very helpful at all.

Basically, a) YES you can take them in your hand luggage, particularly if the solution is less than 100ml. That's the general allowance for liquids on most UK outbound flights, and they have to be in a clear re-sealable plastic bag. I flew with Ryanair airlines from a small airport (Bournemouth) and I had no problems at all. I know it was a small airport with reduced security compared the big ones like Heathrow, however I doubt this fact will make a difference as I managed to get out the other side in Mallorca with no problems either. One thing I would say though is I wear daily disposable contact lenses and I didn't put the whole weeks worth in my hand luggage just in case the solution was over 100ml, yet I didn't put all of them in my suitcase because airlines are notorious for losing baggage. And I can't think of anything worse than being in a place you don't know and not being able to see. So splitting up you're lenses may be something to consider.

b) YES you can wear contact lenses on the flight and they don't warp, shrink, dry up or pop out or whatever else I've heard many people say. However, the pressure does change the higher up you go and the contact lenses rely on pressure to stay in your eye, so bear this in mind as it's possible it may cause some uncomfort especially if you're on a long haul flight. Also the air conditioning on a plane can cause the eye to dry slightly and cause irritation. My flight was 2 hours, I wore my contacts and I had no problems whatsoever, but if you're eyes are prone to drying easily or you just want to avoid any potential irritation it might be a good idea to wear your glasses instead.

Happy flying!

1 comment: